tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 18 18:33:09 2000

RE: KLBC: yInmeywIj ngo'

jatlh Eodrakken:

> I'm a believer in reincarnation; here I've tried to
> describe some of my past lives.  I'm unsure of a lot
> of the language I've used, so this time I've done
> translations for each sentence.

> cha' yInmey vIghajta' 'e' vISov.
> =I know I've had two lives.
> (I doubt that this is correct; I found the
> concept difficult to express with the vocabulary
> I have.)

I would agree that it is not correct. A minor point is that <-ta'> is
borderline here at best - <-pu'> would make more sense.

The major problem is that <ghaj>

> chaq law'ta' yInmeywIj 'ach Hoch vIqawbe'.
> =Perhaps my lives have been many, but I
> don't remember all of them.

<-ta'> is definitely wrong here. You don't really need an aspect suffix at
all for this one.

> ben'a' *dragon* jIH.
> =I was a dragon many, many years ago.

I'm not sure what to make of <ben'a'>. With the exception of <'uj'a'>,
Okrand has said that <-'a'> and <-Hom> aren't generally used with
measurements. The most natural way to say this is <ben law'>, or probably
better <ben law'qu'>.

> jIpuvlaH 'e' vIqawchu'.
> =I clearly remember that I could fly.

maj.

> jIpuvtaHvIS tlhab vItIv.
> =When I was flying, I enjoyed the freedom.

maj.

> yInvetlh vItIvqu'.
> =I loved that life.

maj.

> benHom Human jIH.
> =Not that many years ago, I was a human.

Again, <ben puS> would be better.

> yInvetlh vIqawchu'be' 'ej nI'be'.
> =I don't remember it very clearly and it didn't last long.

Do'Ha'.

> Huch joq Sov vIghajbe' 'ej vaj nom jIHeghpu'.
> =I had no money or knowledge, thus I quickly died.

Noun conjunctions like <joq> go after all the nouns. <Hutlh> would also be
more natural here than <ghajbe'>, although with <Hutlh> the <joq> turns into
a <je>.

Since you're describing this life in this sentence, the aspect suffix <-pu'>
is not appropriate here - during that life you had not yet died.

In general, when you find yourself using <vaj> or <'ej vaj> as a
conjunction, you should consider turning the first bit into a <-mo'> clause
instead:

Hoch Sov je vIHutlhmo' nom jIHegh.

What you have is not incorrect, but you should be aware of the alternative
style possibilities.

> DaH Human jIH.
> =Now I am a human.

quSDaq bIba'.

> yInmeyvammo' vIghojlaH 'e' muQuchmoH.
> =I am happy that I can learn from these lives.

Since you're just learning in general, rather than learning something
specific, the prefix on <ghoj> should be <jI->.

You're trying to use <'e'> as a subject here - "it makes me happy", but
<'e'> can only be an object. The best way to express this is probably
another <-mo'>:

yInmeyvammo' jIghojlaHmo' jIQuch.

Very good message overall. The subject matter was personal and rather
different, and was not an attempt to translate anything. All of these things
make for a very good KLBC message and a very good learning experience.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ