tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 13 07:54:19 2000

Re: KLBC: Sto-Vo-Kor lojmItmey

Steven Boozer wrote:

> De'vID wrote:
> : I have used <tlhIngan SuvwI'> for "samurai", <pujwI'>
> : for "beggar" (I couldn't find a word for "beg" in the sense
> : of for money, but presumably Klingons would consider beggars
> : to be weaklings).
>
> Well, {pujwI'} is a little general. I see you rejected *{qoy'wI'} from {qoy'}
> "plead, beg".  I'd think about that again; that is after all what a begger
> does: He begs you to give him money.  Consider too {Huch poQwI'} "one who
> demands money" if it's important to the story to refer specifically to a
> panhandler, and not any other kind of weakling.

I think you're right, <qoy'wI'> could work, but I didn't know if it has
the same connotations in Klingon that I wanted to convey in the English,
i.e. someone who can't support himself.  Based on that, I did afterwards
think of a longer but more colourful expression.

yIchov 'ej vuDlIj yIja'!

<latlh nuv mupwI' lo'nISwI'> "one who needs to use another (person)'s hammer"

(MO said the hammer is a symbol of self-sufficiency.  So "someone who needs
to use another's hammer" is a person who is so weak that he cannot support
himself.  This goes well with Hakuin's apparent belligerence towards the
samurai.)

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level