tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 11 17:25:34 2000

Re: 'Iv jIH (KLBC)

In a message dated 1/11/2000 5:22:27 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< You've obviously been here for a while, but better late than never. Welcome
 to the list, Xardana. My name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners'
 Grammarian. Whenver you have a post you want help with, mark it for my
 attention with a KLBC in the subject line.

 jatlh SarDan:

 > SarDan jIH.

 maj.

 > jIb qIj vIghaj.
 > mInDu' SuD (blue) vIghaj.

 qIj jIbwIj 'ej SuD mInDu'wIj.

 > Hol <<Art>> je vIHaD.
 > I could not find a word for Art Class.

 That's because Klingon doesn't have a general word for "art". Klingon for
 the Galactic Traveller has a fairly long discussion of art, starting on page
 78. After reading that, you should be able to describe what you are
 studying.

 > You all may help at any time.

 maj.

 > Holmey vItIv (Qov mu').

 I'm chuckling to myself a little bit. A few years ago, Qov knew just about
 every word of the vocabulary, so she knew all of the uncommon words that
 nobody else knew. We called them <Qov mu'mey> then, and we sometimes still
 do.

 > Irish Gaelic, English, Latin,
 > Spanish puS vIjatlh.

 Instead of <puS>, you could try the adverbial <loQ> at the beginning here.
 Also, I'd add <Holmey> just to be clear:

 loQ Irish Gaelic, English, Latin, Spanish Holmey je vIjatlh.

 'ej Holmey rap vIHaDpu' jIH. reH English Hol vIjatlhba'. jInenchoHpa' loQ
 Spanish Hol vIghojchoH. wa'maH vagh ben Latin Hol vIHaD. DaH vIqaw'be'bej.
 loS ben (chaq vagh ben) tlhIngan Hol vIHaDchoH. qen Irish Gaelic vIHaDchoH
 'ej Spanish Hol vIHaDqa'.

 > Does anyone actually speak Latin?
 > I know a priest who does.

 > Hol vItIv 'e' Sov jup.

 maj.

 > paq nob jup.

 This is fine, but you might want to say he gave the book *to you*. The way
 to do this is with <-vaD>: <jIHvaD paq nob jup>. Also, when the recipient is
 a pronoun like <jIH> or <SoH>, it can be folded into the prefix using the
 "prefix trick". You won't find the prefix trick in TKD, but there is a
 section in the FAQ about it. <paq munob jup>.

 > Daj tlhIngan Hol 'e' vItu'.
 Dajbej.

 > ngeDbe' 'ach Daj.
 nap, 'ach pImqu'mo' ngeDbe'.

 > qaD vItIv.
 maj.

 > motlh Killeney vIDab.
 > ru' Laramie vIDab.
 Sep yIngu'. Based on these names, you could live in either Wyoming or
 Ireland. (OK, I don't know if there is a Killeney, Wyoming, but it's
 certainly possible).

 > loS <<colors>> ghaj tlhIngan Hol.
 >
 > Cool!  But, how do we distinguish the rest
 > of the colors we know from spectrography?
 > I know, tlhIngan Hol has existed almost as
 > long as I have.  Someone has already asked these
 > questions.  I still need to have the answers.

 There are several ways, and I need to get some work done, so I'll describe
 them in another message.

 > va!  It is early.  But the day starts early here.
 > Qapla' to all.

 pagh
 Beginners' Grammarian

jIHvaD paqmey nob American jup.  The Klingon Dictionary, The Klingon Way and
Klingon for the Galactic Traveller je vIghaj.  charghwI' mu' tetlh vIlaD.
vaj database vIgher.  I like this word <<gher>>.  And, I definitely must try
to use nominative pronouns and indirect objects.  I did find the grammar
section on indirect objects in the addendum to the dictionary.

I read Klingon for the Galactic Traveller from cover to cover.  A lot of it
is more confusing than helpful.  Oh well, I will have to read it until it is
dog-earred.

I am a little bit confused.  loQ Spanish Hol vIjatlh.  Oh, I think I see.  I
speak Spanish a little bit.  I speak Spanish slightly.  Not:  I speak a
little bit of Spanish.  (Yes, I re-write sentences/paragraphs after I have
written them.  Thus, you get the "joke" connection at the beginning of the
paragraph.)

I cannot fathom all that you have said in one long paragraph.  I will save
this message until I can look up that many words and grammar patterns.

Sep vIngu'.  maj.  Killeney ghaj Ireland Sep.  Dublin veng 'ay' 'oH.  Laramie
ghaj Wyoming Sep.  University of Wyoming ghaj Laramie.

I am very lucky.  Most people in Ireland were not born inside the Gaeltacht
and so do not speak Irish Gaelic very well.  I was born in Donegal.  Most
people of Ireland speak some Irish but are ashamed of their ability around
fluent speakers.  Unfortunately, then, they do not practice.  The government
is advocating that we all speak Irish, but the people have a long way to go.

Xardana

Back to archive top level