tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 11 17:39:45 2000

RE: KLBC: 'IwtlhutlhwI' lIH'egh

tuv'el:
> [magh] "betray, commit treason, act against"
> but also "indicate, reveal" qar'a'?

pagh:
: I've seen a few people use that meaning on the list, but I don't know of any
: reason to believe it is correct. The fact that the English word "betray" has
: a secondary meaning is no reason to assume the Klingon word <magh> does as
: well. Unless you can point out a canon example I have overlooked, <magh>
: only means "betray" in the sense of "act against".

That meaning of {magh} comes from the Klingon Linguistics Studies section
of Paramount's official web site "Star Trek: Continuum" back when it was
hosted on MSN.  (AFAIK, it still be listed on the current host
www.startrek.com; I haven't visited the site in months.)  There it was one
of a list of Words Of The Day and glossed - presumably by Okrand - as
"indicate, reveal".  This meaning was not accompanied by one of those
imaginative STC-supplied "definitions", but {magh} "betray" was: i.e.
"Verb, to commit treason."

This may well have been a mistake on the site maintainer's part; I don't
believe that Okrand has used it in this meaning elsewhere.  However until
we know for sure, we can use it in addition to {cha'}, {'ang}, {nargh} and
{'agh}.  Add it to the list of possibly-confusing homonyms: {cha'}, {reH},
{ta'}, etc.

If you don't like it, don't use it - but as BG you need to be aware that
others do.  (Is it on charghwI's New Words List?)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level