tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 10 11:10:05 2000

Re: KLBC: Sto-Vo-Kor lojmItmey

De'vID wrote:

I'll let pagh handle the grammar.  He are a couple of vocabulary notes:

: example I have used <tlhIngan SuvwI'> for "samurai", <pujwI'>
: for "beggar" (I couldn't find a word for "beg" in the sense
: of for money, but presumably Klingons would consider beggars
: to be weaklings).

Well, {pujwI'} is a little general. I see you rejected *{qoy'wI'} from {qoy'}
"plead, beg".  I'd think about that again; that is after all what a begger
does: He begs you to give him money.  Consider too {Huch poQwI'} "one who
demands money" if it's important to the story to refer specifically to a
panhandler, and not any other kind of weakling.

: Again, please tell me if there are better ways I could've
: QeHqu'choH *Nobushige vaj betleHDaj ngol SuvwI',
: = Nobushige became very angry, and lifted his bat'leth to strike
: (i.e. He drew his sword - you know, the way samurai do.  Did MO
: give us a verb "to unsheath a sword"?)

Not that I know of.  BTW, bat'leths aren't sheathed, they're carried with the
blade exposed.  For removing something from a {vaH} "holster, sheath, knife
case" (I'd say it's a good bet this also refers to a sword sheath/scabbard),
people have used {lel} "take out, get out" and {teq} "remove, take off" -
neither of which are 100% satisfactory in light of their secondary
definitions.  Also, there is some sword (bat'leth) handling vocabulary in KGT
you might want to look at.

(I suppose a particularly fine bat'leth might be transported in some sort of
protective case when moving house, but warriors generally carry them with the
blade exposed, perhaps slung over the shoulder or back from a leather strap,
ready for action.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons