tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 07 16:38:48 2000

Re: Bible translation (was Re: Preordering THE KLINGON HAMLET)

Ilta' ghunchu'wI' 'utlh:
>ja' [email protected] (Kevin McCormick):
>>I'd be more interested in the translated Bible books as this would possibly
>>shed some light on thlIngan mythology/religion!
>
>The KBTP (Klingon Bible Translation Project) has the goal of translating
>the Bible most of us know from Sunday School.  The only thing it's likely
>to shed light on is the interesting human cultural assumptions that must
>sometimes be made explicit for the translation to succeed.

teH jatlh ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

>There's a completely separate translation of the Bible, produced by the
>Interstellar Language School, called "Good News for the Warrior Race."
>It takes some creative liberties with much of the New Testament, making
>something of a hybrid of the Christian and Star Trek mythologies.  The
>concept behind it -- it seems intended as a "missionary translation" to
>bring the Word to Klingons -- does not appeal to me, and I've not read
>more than a couple of brief excerpts from it.
>
>-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

jIQochbe' watlh vIneH mISbe' qun pol Hot be' ghap 'oH maghtaH maH Hoch
(Grammer?)
What I mean to convey, <I agree, History (what is written about and
translated) should be kept pure or it betrays us all) think about how
history is rewritten by the politicos of the world.>

Best regards,

Kevin McCormick
W. Kevin McCormick                          White Pine Software
Product Manager                               542 Amherst St.
Phone: 603 886 9050                        Nashua, NH
Fax:   603 886-9051                         03063
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.wpine.com

Back to archive top level