tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 07 11:48:02 2000

RE: Dictionary

jatlh jenwI':
>>> So how hard would it be to produce such a thing?
>>> And would Paramount allow it?

jIjang:
>> It is rather difficult to produce such a thing, but
>> Paramount can do absolutely nothing to prevent anyone
>> from producing one. What they can prevent is someone
>> producing one and then selling it or even giving it away.

> qatlh SaH "Paramount"?  "TKD" bIje'be'chugh, SoHvaD lI'be'
> "word list". vaj malja' law' HuqlaH.

Paramount is interested in "protecting" their "intellectual property" above
all else, and the economics and copyright law of modern US society encourage
this sort of behavior.

>> So you can do what many of us on the list have done:
>> make one for yourself. It takes a significant effort,
>> but it pays off in two ways. You wind up with a
>> complete dictionary, and you also wind up with a much
>> better knowledge of the vocabulary.

> Does anyone have a list of puns?  I would like such a
> list to learn vocabulary (I find the punny words easier
> to recall).

ben puS mu' qID tetlh ghertaH ghunchu'wI' 'e' vIqawlaw', 'ach chaq mevpu'.
jISovbe'.

And I should warn you that puns can be dangerous. They may help you remember
the word, but they may also burn the associated pun into your brain, so that
you can't hear or use the word without thinking of the pun. This can be
quite distracting.

>> I personally use an Access database to track vocabulary,
>> although I admit it is fairly out of date. With some
>> work designing the database, you can print a nice looking
>> Klingon-English wordlist, and with some more work, you can
>> do the same the other way. ghunchu'wI' has done a
>> particularly nice job on his, printing it in a booklet
>> format that he can carry around if he wants to.

> How do you manage to sort it?  Because in English, "nga-"
> will go between "na-" and "nI-", but in Klingon the word
> order is "na-", "nI-", "nga-".

That's where the work designing the database I mentioned comes in. I store
three different forms of the word: one for the normal, romanized form of the
word, one using the KLI font mapping (e.g. XIFAN for tlhIngan), and one that
is used as a sort key. The sort key is similar to the normal roman spelling,
but some letters are replaced for easier sorting. For example, <n> becomes
<n1> and <ng> becomes <n2>. With some programming, you can generate the
other two entries automatically from the first, but I think I just did all
three entries by hand.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ