tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 09 15:01:01 2000

RE: Dictionary

ja'pu' De'vID:
>Does anyone have a list of puns?  I would like such a list to learn
>vocabulary (I find the punny words easier to recall).

If your motive is learning vocabulary, reading someone else's list of
puns is likely not going to be helpful.  You're bound to get more out
of looking at the vocabulary and noticing puns yourself.  Going through
the vocabulary word by word is never a bad idea anyway, and actually
recopying the word lists by hand into your own dictionary is probably
one of the best ways to get familiar with what words there are.

ja' pagh:
>ben puS mu' qID tetlh ghertaH ghunchu'wI' 'e' vIqawlaw', 'ach chaq mevpu'.
>jISovbe'.

lugh ghaH.  mu' qID tetlhqoq vIpol.  'ach tetlhna' 'oHbe'; qID qelbogh
jabbI'IDmey vIboS neH.  DaHjaj jIHvaD neH qIDHeymey vIboS.  chaq 'op nem
bIH vImuchmeH vIgherchu'.

>And I should warn you that puns can be dangerous. They may help you remember
>the word, but they may also burn the associated pun into your brain, so that
>you can't hear or use the word without thinking of the pun. This can be
>quite distracting.

vItbej pagh.  At a certain level of fluency, having a mnemonic for knowing
a word slows one down as the mnemonic triggers without purpose.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level