tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 06 14:05:14 2000

RE: KLBC: Hol vI'lo 'e' vInID (jav)

jIja'pu':
>A general-purpose partitive "of" seems to be missing from Klingon grammar.
>...{nIn Hoch} "all the fuel"
>...{tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej HochHom} "most of the 23rd Century"

ja' Holtej:
>There're also two examples in TKD, p. 54:
>
>	mulegh cha'
>	"Two (of them) see me."
>
>	wa' yIHoH
>	"Kill one (of them)!"

Neither of those examples seem extensible to anything in particular.
They indicate only that numbers used as nouns can be interpreted as
subsets of something unstated.  I suppose they could be generalized
by adding an explanatory sentence:

  raSDaq bIQ balmey vIlanta'.  nIjtaH wa'.
  "One of the bottles I put on the table is leaking."

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level