tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 05 18:28:01 2000

RE: KLBC: A small introduction of me.

jatlh paul:
>> On a similar note, I and some other
>> students were writing an advertisement
>> poster for clothes with the logo of the
>> department (computer science) on them. We
>> thought of making it multi-lingual with
>> as many languages as possible. Naturally,
>> I would like to include Klingon. The phrase
>> we want to use is "Buy computer science
>> clothes!". What I came up with is:
>> {De'tejSutpu' tIje'}, that is  "You will buy
>> computer scientist clothes!". Is this
>> correct? (Same notes about "computer science"
>>as above.)

jangmeH jatlh Qor:
> I would as a newbie (new person but a Klingon fan from way back) to
> tlhIngan Hol I would use {De'tejSutpu' tIje' qoj Hegh} You will buy
> computer science clothes or die! which seems to me to be the
> {SuytlhIngan} way of selling.

I've already commented on some grammar problems with the original, which
mostly apply here as well. You're referring to that wonderful Klingon phrase
<bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh> - "Buy or die!". This is one of the few Klingon
phrases that is much more concise and catchy in English, which is kind of
cool. In any case, applying it to this situation would yield:

De'tej Sut Daje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ