tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 05 21:22:56 2000

RE: KLBC: A small introduction of me.

Thanks pagh. I have much to learn!

>jatlh paul:
>>> On a similar note, I and some other
>>> students were writing an advertisement
>>> poster for clothes with the logo of the
>>> department (computer science) on them. We
>>> thought of making it multi-lingual with
>>> as many languages as possible. Naturally,
>>> I would like to include Klingon. The phrase
>>> we want to use is "Buy computer science
>>> clothes!". What I came up with is:
>>> {De'tejSutpu' tIje'}, that is  "You will buy
>>> computer scientist clothes!". Is this
>>> correct? (Same notes about "computer science"
>>>as above.)
>
>jangmeH jatlh Qor:
>> I would as a newbie (new person but a Klingon fan from way back) to
>> tlhIngan Hol I would use {De'tejSutpu' tIje' qoj Hegh} You will buy
>> computer science clothes or die! which seems to me to be the
>> {SuytlhIngan} way of selling.
>
>I've already commented on some grammar problems with the original, which
>mostly apply here as well. You're referring to that wonderful Klingon phrase
><bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh> - "Buy or die!". This is one of the few Klingon
>phrases that is much more concise and catchy in English, which is kind of
>cool. In any case, applying it to this situation would yield:
>
>De'tej Sut Daje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh
>

>pagh
>Beginners' Grammarian
>
>tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ
>http://www.bigfoot.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm

Best regards,

Kevin McCormick
W. Kevin McCormick                          White Pine Software
Product Manager                               542 Amherst St.
Phone: 603 886 9050                        Nashua, NH
Fax:   603 886-9051                         03063
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.wpine.com

Back to archive top level