tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 05 13:58:51 2000

KLBC: A small introduction of me.

Hi!

I thought I should get out of lurking and
present myself and exercise a little Klingon
by doing so.

I won't enter the usual trap of "My name
is..." in Klingon so I'll just use English
for that. My name is Paul Reinerfelt and I'm
from Sweden. I don't think I will choose a
Klingon name but I think I'll spell Paul like
it was in Klingon, {paul}, because the
Klingon pronunciation is much closer to the
Swedish pronunciation than the English is.

{<Lund> DuSaQ'a'Daq De'QeD jIHaD}
"I study computer science at Lund University."

{rut De'QeD jIghojmoH je}
"Sometimes I also teach computer science."

Before anyone points out that I have made an
error with "computer science" let me point
out that I tried to translate from Swedish
and  the Swedish word for computer science is
more literally translated as "datalogy" (like
zoology or biology, i.e. the lore of data)).
That's why I used {De'QeD} instead of
{De'wI'QeD}.

On a similar note, I and some other
students were writing an advertisement
poster for clothes with the logo of the
department (computer science) on them. We
thought of making it multi-lingual with
as many languages as possible. Naturally,
I would like to include Klingon. The phrase
we want to use is "Buy computer science
clothes!". What I came up with is:
{De'tejSutpu' tIje'}, that is  "You will buy
computer scientist clothes!". Is this
correct? (Same notes about "computer science"
as above.)

By the way, why is "computer" translated
"my data"? I would have been much less
surprised if it had been something like "one
who computes". (maybe {SImwI'}, "one who
calculates"?)

Another question: Is there a way to say "do"
as in Yoda's (I know, wrong universe) famous
"Do or do not, there is no try" in Klingon?
The sentiment strikes me as something that
would appeal to a Klingon.

Qapla'
/paul, tlhingan Hol ghojwI'

Back to archive top level