tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 03 22:03:17 2000

Re: KLBC: a cup of tea vs. a tea cup

<< >How do I distinguish between saying a "tea cup" and a "cup of tea"
 >(not quite the same thing)?  <Dargh HIvje'> refers to the cup (KGT 96).
 >But what if I want to refer to the tea?  That is, I have a cup of tea,
 >it is a *cup* of tea that I have and not, say, a bottle of tea.

 If you're concerned about the container making the difference between
 two different types of tea,  {HIvje' Dargh} "cup tea" and {bal Dargh}
 "bottle tea" might work.

The impression I get is that he is referring to the difference between a cup
which *holds* tea, and the tea itself (not so much a measure of the
tea)...For example, "Would you like a cup of tea?" is not an offer to give
you dishes. "Would you like a teacup?" does not necessarily imply that your
thirst will be abated.
Context would help. A cup which contains tea vs. an empty teacup...do you
seek an accurate measure of the tea? Or do you simply wish to refer to a
teacup which is not empty ? But, as p. 96 states, Dargh refers to the
beverage only, while HIvje' Dargh refers to a cup specifically designed for
drinking tea.... So, how about....

Accurate Measure
HIvje' Dargh buy'bogh Dargh yap <enough tea which to fill a cup specifically
designed for drinking tea> = 1 cup of tea.

qeghDaq ratlh HIVje' Dargh buy'bogh Dargh yap.
(Enough tea to fill a teacup remains in the vat.)

Dargh yItlhutlh ! = Have some tea !

juDmoS

Back to archive top level