tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 04 13:26:18 2000

Re: KLBC: a cup of tea vs. a tea cup

[email protected] wrote:

>>>How do I distinguish between saying a "tea cup" and a "cup of tea"
>>>(not quite the same thing)?  <Dargh HIvje'> refers to the cup (KGT 96).
>>>But what if I want to refer to the tea?  That is, I have a cup of tea,
>>>it is a *cup* of tea that I have and not, say, a bottle of tea.
>
>>  If you're concerned about the container making the difference between
>>  two different types of tea,  {HIvje' Dargh} "cup tea" and {bal Dargh}
>>  "bottle tea" might work.
>
> The impression I get is that he is referring to the difference between a cup
> which *holds* tea, and the tea itself (not so much a measure of the
> tea)...For example, "Would you like a cup of tea?" is not an offer to give
> you dishes. "Would you like a teacup?" does not necessarily imply that your
> thirst will be abated.

qech vIHechbogh 'e' DaSovchu'.  That's exactly the sort of thing I mean.
In English, there is a difference between when you talk about a "cup of tea"
vs. when you speak of a "tea cup".  But it seems in Klingon there is only
the noun-noun construct.  So *can* <Dargh HIvje'> refer to either the cup or
the tea, depending on context?  From KGT it seems not.

> HIvje' Dargh buy'bogh Dargh yap <enough tea which to fill a cup specifically
> designed for drinking tea> = 1 cup of tea.

The translation that I finally came up with for the context that I
wanted is <Dargh HIvje' teblu'bogh> "a full tea cup".  I chose <teblu'>
over <buy'> because the cup is filled by someone, as the context will
make clear.

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level