tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 01 03:02:15 2000

RE: KLBC: languages (was Re: New Millenium)

>jatlh Oto:
>>I speek 7 languages
>>and I'm learning about 10 in addition

> 'ej nuq Soch Holmey DajatlhlaH, <Oto>?
> nuq latlh wa'maH Holmey DaghojtaH?

> = And which seven languages can you speak,
> Oto?  Which ten other languages are you learning?

> (KLBC question: Can I use <nuq> to mean "which" in
> the way I'm doing above?  <tlhIngan Hol
> mu'tlheghmeywIj Dayaj'a'?>)

ghobe' 'ach HISlaH. I understood you, but no, <nuq> cannot be used for
"which" like this. Okrand has on several occasions had the opportunity to
allow this, but consistently avoids it. Instead, he often suggests an
alternative: demand instead of ask. For these sentences, the most direct way
to obtain the information in Klingon would be an imperative:

Soch Holmey DjatlhlaHbogh yIngu'.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level