tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 06 14:30:33 2000

Re: online klingon course

ja' chavta'ngav:
>luq.     mojaQmey je moHaqmey wIlo'Qo' 'e' Dajatlhbe' peHruS
>ok. peHruS (you) did not say that we won't use prefixes and suffixes

A minor point of grammar:  The noun conjunction {je} goes *after* the
nouns it is joining.

A minor point of suffix use:  {-Qo'} on a declarative verb indicates
refusal, not prediction of a negative event.  "Won't" can be used both
ways in English, but {-Qo'} doesn't work that way in Klingon.

A minor point of speaking:  You've used an indirect quote, with the
translation "...say that...".  The evidence we have tells us that
verbs of speaking in Klingon are used with direct quotes.  If you want
to tell what someone said, you must quote their exact words -- or at
least give the quote as if they were the words spoken.

  bIja'be' mojaqmey moHaqmey joq tIlo'Qo'
  "You did not say, 'Do not use prefixes or suffixes.'"

{-Qo'} is appropriate here because of the imperative verb prefix.

>yaSwI' je'pu' yaSlI'
> ---> your officer bought my officer (PAYOFF!!!....BRIBE!!!)
>heeheehee---ok it probably doesn't mean that but isn't it funny anyway

It's likely to be interpreted as "Your officer fed my officer."  But if
you make clear that you're talking about an exchange of money for some
sort of service (or treachery), then I'd understand it the way you've
translated it, and I would indeed chuckle at the homonym.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level