tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 18 10:21:43 2000

RE: DawI' and -ghach

jatlh SuStel:
>/ghunta'ghach/ isn't an
>exact match for "software," though I can imagine situations where it might
>work.  It might be more accurately translated as a noun meaning "having
>programmed intentionally" or "result of intentional programming."

jatlh DujHoD:
> OTOH, one can also imagine situations where it would *not* work. Since
> {-ta'} applies only to things that have already happened, it would not
> work for programs that have not yet been made or are still in the
> process of being made, qar'a'? For example:

> tugh ghunta'ghach vIqon. Soon I'll write a program.

> appears to be incorrect, because the program is not yet made.

<-ta'> (and <-pu'> for that matter) refers to actions that are complete. As
long as you have a context to put them in, that completion can happen at any
time. It doesn't have to mean that the action is complete *now*. For
example, the following are all perfectly valid sentences:

wa'leS jIQongpu' - Tomorrow I will have slept.

rInpa' vatlh DIS poHvam, romuluS wIcharghta' 'e' vISov - I know that we will
have conquered Romulus before the end of this century.

tugh Qu'wIj vIta'ta' - I'll be done with my chores soon.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ