tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 18 21:18:54 2000

Re: DawI' and -ghach

I've used the term {De'wI' mIw}, precisely to avoid the issue of
what format the process is embodied in or how exactly the
commands for the procedure are given to the computer.

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/teresh_2000
http://www.geocities.com/weseb_2000

In a message dated 2/18/00 2:16:10 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Since a lot of Klingon speakers are computer geeks (and I
>  can say that because I am one), many of us have wanted a
>  noun for "program", but Klingon doesn't really have one.
>
>  Note that you don't have to go back very far in human
>  history to predate the existance of this noun having the
>  meaning we understand today, and given the changes in
>  technology, it might not be very long before the term
>  becomes obsolete. Computers may very well not "run" an
>  executable "file" for another century, let alone for the
>  timetable of the Star Trek universe.
>
>  It may very well be that there is an activity that one has
>  which gives instructions to a computer, such that we call
>  it "programming", but there is no actual program. Instead,
>  it is more like teaching the computer to do something and
>  the computer then uses what it has learned much as we use
>  what we have learned. I don't run a file in order to play
>  fiddle, though I definitely have people teaching me to play
>  it. Perhaps the language we use to describe these things
>  will change. Likely this is the case, and we may very well
>  be struggling to find a noun that will quickly become
>  obsolete.

Back to archive top level