tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 16 21:16:56 2000

Re: 'Ij and qIm

ja' SuStel:
>But, alas, it isn't so.  Unless we are told otherwise, I believe the Star
>Trek V script excerpts are proof that /'Ij/ and /qIm/ are allowed to be used
>with objects.

I think it just proves that they sometimes *are* used with objects, and
says nothing about whether that's the right thing to do.  Like putting
{je} before the final noun of a collection, or putting the interrogative
verb suffix {-'a'} on a noun, it might be grammatically incorrect while
still being intelligible.

We all know what {QoQ vI'Ij} is intended to mean.  Until we get better
definition of whether {'Ij} can have an object, though, I think it's a
good idea to keep pointing out to beginners the likelihood that it does
not, based on the short gloss of "listen".

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level