tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 16 13:16:41 2000

Re: Two Rules [KLBC]

"R. Stasel" wrote:
> would it be possible to add to the list of rules, or at least suggested
> rules?

chutmey DaneHbogh yIngu'!
= What rules do you want?

> I wouldn't mind seeing more english translations along with the
> Klingon.  It would help me dramatically in making sure I understand what I
> am reading.  Just a thought.

tlhIngan Hol mu'tlheghmey vIqon.  DIvI' HolvaD vImughlaH.  Qu'vam vIparbe'.
= I don't mind translating my Klingon sentences into English.

Do'Ha', jabbI'IDtlheghvam laDlu'taHvIS, cha' patlh neH tu'lu'.  "KLBC"
po'wI'pu' patlh je tu'lu'.
= Unfortunately, in this mailing list, there are only two ranks (of
expertise).  There is only the "KLBC" and the skilled speakers' levels.
[I mean "officially", of course.]

botlh patlh tu'lu'be'.
= There is no intermediate level.

"KLBC" QIn Daqonchugh, tlhIngan Hol DIvI' Hol je Dalo'nIS.
= If you write a KLBC message, you need to include both the Klingon and English.

QInlIjvaD "KLBC" Daperchugh, laDnIS chu'wI' pabpo'.  jangpa'
latlhpu', jang pabpo'.
= If you label your message as "KLBC", the beginner's grammarian gets first
dibs in replying to it.
[<chu'wI'> or <taghwI'> for "beginner"?]

'ach "KLBC" Dalo'be'chugh, bIpo'nIS.  mu'tay' pab je DayajnISbej.  DIvI' Hol
Dalo'nISbe'.
= If you don't use "KLBC", you need to understand the vocab and grammer
pretty well.  You don't need to include an English translation.

Soch ben tlhIngan Hol vIHaD 'e' vItaghlaw'.  loS ben jabbI'IDtlheghvam
vImuvchoH, 'ach jar puS neH poH vImuv.  "internet connection" vIghajchu'be'.
"freenet" vIlo' 'ach Qapchu'be'.
= I started studying Klingon about seven years ago.  About four years
ago I joined this list, but I stayed for only a few months.  I didn't have
an internet connection, I used "freenet" which was unreliable.

vaj qen vImuvqa'DI', chu'wI'na' jIHbejbe'.  chu'wI'Hey chu'qa'wI' joq jIH.
= So when I recently rejoined this list, I am not really a "real" beginner.
I'm a "sorta beginner" or a "re-beginner".

loQ mu'tay' vIqawlaHbe'.  rut pab vIyajchu'be'.
= I don't remember some of the vocabulary, and I sometimes have trouble
with grammar.

vaj "KLBC" vIlo'.  'ach po'wI'pu' QInmey HochHom vIyaj.  rut jIvumnIS
'ach jIyaj.
= So I use the "KLBC".  However, I understand most of the skilled
writers' messages, although I sometimes have to work at it.

jIDub 'e' vIneH, 'ach *pagh vInuQ 'e' vIneHbe'.  latlh chu'wI'pu' QaHnIS
*pagh.  muQaH 'e' vIneH.  'ach QaHDaj vIpoQbe' je.
= I want to improve, but I don't want to annoy pagh.  He needs to help other
beginners. [Actually, what I wanted to say is, "I don't want to waste his
time, which can be better spent helping less skilled people".]  I want his
help but I also don't need it.  [Actually, I do.  My intention was to write
that I don't need it as much as some other people, but for the life of
me I couldn't figure out how to cast it as a <law'/puS> construct.]

rut "KLBC" QIn vIqon 'ej "maj" neH jatlh *pagh.
= Sometimes I write a "KLBC" message and all pagh answers is "maj".
[Hey pagh, do you have a <maj> button on your keyboard?  It would be
a great help. =) ]

vaj latlh patlh qech vIparHa'.  botlh patlh per lo'lu'chugh, tlhIngan Hol
DIvI' Hol je jatlhlu', 'ach jangnISbe' pabpo'.  janglaH Hoch.
mujchugh QIn, jang pabpo'.  chup neHchugh, janglaH je.
= So I like the idea of another "intermediate" level.  An "intermediate"
message would have both Klingon and English, but the grammarian doesn't have
to answer it.  Anyone can reply [how do I say, "Anyone can be the first to
reply to it?"]  He would answer it only if it had mistakes, or if he had
suggestions.

> Qapla'
> -StaZ

qechwIj DaparHa' 'e' vItul.
= I hope you like my idea.

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level