tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 14 19:18:11 2000

Re: (KLBC) {moj} with 2 objects

In a message dated 2/14/00 6:49:29 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> jatlh ghaHbe'wI':
[...]
>  > Of course, I've said it before, perhaps all the whole question
>  > is a misinterpretation I've done ,or something someone has solved
>  > before, but I don't know how to express {moj} as a transitive verb.
>
>  You've come across one of the stickier areas of Klingon grammar, and I
can't
>  really give you an answer. The problem is not just <moj>, but any
transitive
>  verb that gets <-moH> added to it.
>
>  The following are all simple and uncontroversial:
>
>  Sop matlh - Maltz eats.
>  qagh Sop matlh - Matlz eats qagh.
>  matlh SopmoH Qugh - Kruge makes Maltz eat.

Actually, the last example is not so simple.  Under the interpretation that
I argued some months ago (I think charghwI' agreed at the time, but I
can't recall now), the last would be understood as "Kruge causes (someone)
to eat Maltz".  My theory was that the "second object" in these sentences
took {-vaD}, so ?{matlhvaD qagh SopmoH Qugh} would be "Kruge makes Maltz
eat qagh".  But, as you say, this is unsettled.  I don't really like HoD
Qanqor's
solution, which (truth be told) relies as much on speculation as my idea did.
I've decided that only Okrand can answer this, and am just dropping the issue
until then.

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/teresh_2000
http://www.geocitis.com/weseb_2000