tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 14 17:26:09 2000

RE: KLBC <chyrano berjeraq>

lab pagh:

> jatlh J:
>
> > moHbe' ghaH 'ach Quch Hab ghaj.
>
> In English, it's natural to say "he has a smooth forehead", but in Klingon,
> the natural way is "his forhead is smooth". The most famous curse in Klingon
> mu'qaD veS is <Hab SoSlI' Quch>, which Okrand translated into English as
> "Your mother has a smooth forehead".
>
> > por chIS ghaj mIvDaj.
>
> maj.

Similarly to the /Quch Hab/, I balked at this one.  If the white leaf is a
picture, then I would write /mIvDaq por chIS cha'lu'/.  If an actual leaf,
then /mIvDaq por chIS tu'lu'/, or /lanlu'ta'/.  The /ghaj/ made me think of
the helmet's HAVING of the leaf, and wondering about that, rather than the
leaf was there.
Qov 'utlh

Back to archive top level