tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 10 11:02:02 2000

RE: Words not in Dictionary (Was: Canonical Klingon)

ja' charghwI' 'utlh:
> DawI'pu'vam DISov'a'?

jang veS joH.  ja':
> ?

QIjmeH jang Qov.

jatlh qa'ral:
> Qov has been as lucid and enlightening as ever, but one
> thing hasn't quite come clear in this thread:  {DawI'} --
> meaning *actor*--is a logical and useful extrapolation
> from the verb {Da}, but (correct me if I'm wrong) is
> not to be found in any official wordlist.

<DawI'> has never been found on any official wordlist, but then neither has
<HoHwI'>. <DawI'> is the verb <Da> plus the suffix <-wI'>, meaning "one who
behaves as / acts in the manner of (someone/something else)". That seems to
fit the most common meanings of the English word "actor" rather well,
although <DawI'> is not necessarily associated with the stage and screen
like "actor" is.

<DawI'> is an extrapolation, but then so is everything original we say in
Klingon.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ