tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 12 13:51:42 2000

Re: Words not in Dictionary (Was: Canonical Klingon)

ja' qa'ral:
>...{DawI'}--meaning *actor*--is a logical and
>useful extrapolation from the verb {Da}, but (correct me if I'm wrong) is
>not to be found in any official wordlist.

Would you call {majatlhrup} a logical and useful extrapolation as well?
Building words from roots and affixes is the way Klingon grammar works.
If one were to try to catalog all legitimate words, the word list would
be unmanageably large, and it would also fail to capture any contextual
clues that tend to explain what is meant when certain words are used in
real sentences.

The word {tIjwI'ghom} is presented and carefully explained on page 20
of TKD, but it too doesn't appear in the actual list of words because
it's a straightforward "logical and useful extrapolation" which follows
the rules of Klingon grammar.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level