tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 05 07:30:44 2000

Re: jIrop (Does anyone agree with QInteS????)

At 04:42 AM 02/05/2000 EST, you wrote:
>>Am I being too vague with my
>>definitions?  If *rachwI'* is truly a literal translation for "nurse"
It's the similar characteristics
>they share that makes them a nurse.  The name should change only when
>specifing the job.  rachwI' in general; QelHom in specific.

Specific?  specific to what?  QelHom does not make the specific role of
what the nurse is doing any clearer to me.  When she first used it I
thought she meant "intern".  To deliberatly not use a word that Okrand has
given us in favor of an improvised and more vague word is confuseing. We
are suposed to be students of tlhIngan Hol.  Students learn the rules and
apply them, they don't make it up as they go.  If you were learning Spanish
and for some reason decided that you did not like their word for "police
officer", would you improvise another way to say it, and expect native
Spanish speakers to understand you?  Even if the way you put it, generally
fits the description of "police officer" you would still get funny looks,
and get corrected alot.  Of course, no-one would do that.  When you learn
Spanish, you learn the words for "police officer", " busdriver", and
"nurse" and you use them as they are suposed to be used.  Let's show
thlIngan Hol the same respect.

If you want to make the role of a nurse more specific, you would have to
include a description of what he/she is ACTUALLY doing.  I'm no expert on
the various duties a nurse would perform, but for a nurse that assists a
surgeon, one could say *HaqwI' rachwI'*.  But rachwI' MUST be in there
because Okrand SAIS that's the Klingon word for nurse.

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level