tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 06 19:49:48 2000

Re: jIrop (Does anyone agree with QInteS????)

ja' SuSvaj:
>If you want to make the role of a nurse more specific, you would have to
>include a description of what he/she is ACTUALLY doing.  I'm no expert on
>the various duties a nurse would perform, but for a nurse that assists a
>surgeon, one could say *HaqwI' rachwI'*.  But rachwI' MUST be in there
>because Okrand SAIS that's the Klingon word for nurse.

Chill out, SuSvaj!  Let's take a look at what Okrand actually said.

On October 20, 1998, Mark Okrand wrote in the startrek.klingon newsgroup:
>[...]
>There is no single term for "nurse," as distinguished from "physician's
>assistant."  Voragh's suggestions (/Qel boQ/ "doctor's aide," /HaqwI' boQ/
>"surgeon's aide") are fine and both could be used.  Qov's suggestion,
>/QelHom/, consisting of /Qel/ "doctor" plus the diminutive suffix /-Hom/, is
>also an acceptable form (and is an excellent illustration of the diminutive
>suffix -- the word means "not quite a doctor" or "lesser doctor" or the
>like).
>
>Another word sometimes applied to the person a Federation patient might refer
>to as a "nurse" is /rachwI'/.  The verb /rach/ has been translated variously
>as "invigorate,"  "fortify," and "strengthen."  Thus /rachwI'/ (/rach/ plus
>the suffix /-wI'/ "one who does") is an "invigorator, fortifier,
>strengthener." [...]

For someone who does "nursing", {rachwI'} is probably the right choice.
However, a nurse who provides true medical care is definitely a {QelHom}
in my view.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level