tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 27 17:32:25 2000

Grammar Highlight (-Daq = at)

QISmaS botIvpu''a'?  nobmey law' boHev'a'?  bonob'a'?  tugh rIn je Hanukkah.
'ach mIchwIjDaq Kwanzaa luloplI' jIlpu'.

Disclaimer:  {-Daq} has other usages.  This highlight touches only on the
fact that it means "at," the locative usage.

Klingons tell where the action is taking place by putting a "locative clause"
before the basic OVS sentence.  The "clause" ends with the noun suffix, type
5 {-Daq}.

Examples:  juHDaq raS vIghaj = I have a table at home.
(juH = home; -Daq = at; raS = table; vIghaj = I have it)

qach tInqu' retlhDaq Dochmey ngev Suypu' = The merchants sell things at the
side of the very big building.
(qach = building; tInqu' = very big; retlh = the area alongside; -Daq = at;
Dochmey = things; ngev = sells; Suypu' = merchants)
Notice that the {-Daq} goes on the final element of the clause.

qach machDaq loD vISampu' = I have found the man at the small building.
(qach = building; mach = small; -Daq = at; loD = man; vISampu' = I have found
him)
Again, notice that {-Daq} is on the final element, even though it is a verb
of quality, not a noun.

Qe'Daq qagh Sop tlhIngan yaS = The Klingon officer eats Ghak at the
restaurant.  (Qe' = restaurant; -Daq = at; qagh = Ghak [serpent worm alive as
food]; Sop = eats; tlhIngan yaS = Klingon officer)
*Obviously {-Daq} could have been translated as "in" here.

peHruS QInnor puqloD

Back to archive top level