tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 27 17:02:09 2000

RE: question

pIl'o':
>> A man at the coffee shop told me he saw a trailer for new animated
>> show. It features a female character who spoke Klingon. He wanted
>> to know if it was tlhIngan Hol or "fake" Klingon.

Holtej:
> ... The name is something like "Mike & Dave", it appears to
> be claymation.  At one point in the trailer they started speaking in
> gibberish with English captions, claiming to be speaking Klingon.
> It was not Klingon.  *sigh*

I'm not so sure.  I saw that trailer a couple of times and the boy
character said something like "Don't tell me you speak Klingon!" to the
girl who has just shouted some "Klingon" at him after he invited her to a
Star Trek convention.  The only thing I could make out was
"...duh-jottle...!" - {Dajatlh}?  I wonder if one of the writers has a TKD
and saw the phrase {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?}?  (OTOH, they may not have
had a TKD as this phrase with translation is often quoted in articles about
Klingon.)  Of course, if no one teaches the actors how to pronounce the
lines in the script, they have to guess and it usually comes out as
jibberish.  Okrand's "phonetic" transcription isn't exactly user-friendly
for non-linguists.

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh:
: nuqDaq "Mike & Dave" vISam?

UPN I think.