tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 21 09:01:20 2000

re: VOCAB question: to be busy, to retire

> Hi,

> I need help with two concepts.  How would I say "to be
> busy" and "to retire"?

I could really use more context to better understand what
you mean. Being busy can mean so many things:

"I'm busy."
Qu'wIjmo' jIghIQlaHbe'.
Qu'wIj vIta'nISmo' SoHvaD poHwIj vInatlhqangbe'.
jIQujtaH. yIloj!
yIqay'Qo'.
DaH jIvumnIS.
qay'wI'HomlIj vISaHbe'. yIngab.
butlhwIj potlh law' Qu'qoqlIj potlh puS.
SaHwI' vIrur'a'?
choDuQHa'.
[Definitely not to be confused with: {choDuQ. Ha'!}
jIbwIj vISay'moHnIS.
bIrchoH SuvwI' 'Iw.

"I'm retired."
Hoch ra'wI'wI'pu' vIHoHta' 'ej jIDevqangbe'. jItlhab.
I don't know of any other Klingon retirement plans.

The main point here is, don't translate a phrase. Say what
you mean. There is a difference. When you say "I'm busy,"
without any context, there is a HUGE variety of ideas you
may be expressing. Most likely, you have a specific context
in mind, so in your mind, you have decided a lot about
exactly what you mean by "I'm busy." It is better to start
translating from that specific meaning rather than
translate from the more generic phrase.

> For "I'm busy", I think something like {Qu' vIvumlI'}
> might work. Any other ideas?

If that's what you mean, then it works fine.

> Also, how would I say "to retire"?  I'm using {batlh bup}
> "to quit honorably", and {'utlh moj} "to become an
> officer emeritus" (someone who served the Klingon Defense
> Force and lived to retire).

I prefer to think of it as the way I stated it above. There
is no age at which a Klingon retires. He fights until he
either dies or proves he can lead and then leads (and
likely continues to fight) until he dies or chooses to no
longer lead or fight. Then he is retired, unless he still
has a commander above him, in which case, he needs to
succeed that commander before he can retire. That implies
that said commander needs to either retire or die or
perhaps simply grant him his freedom out of respect for the
work the would-be retiree has done for the Empire (and out
his commander's interest in neither dying nor retiring).

> The context I'm using it in is that of a
> warrior who has won many battles, and is now giving away
> his sword so he can devote the rest of his life to
> contemplation and to declare his love for a woman whom,
> due to honour, he cannot have while he is a warrior.

Obviously, you are discussing someone with interest in an
inter-species romantic relationship, since Klingon men are
hard pressed to find Klingon women who would accept them if
they weren't warriors. Why do you think those Klingon
recruitment drives are so successful? Do you really think
that honor alone could explain the near-unanimous signups
for males of all ages? Heck. Most of the FEMALES are in the
military. Who's left to date if you don't wear a betleH?

I suggest to you that at least half of the wars that
Klingons have ever fought were started by some guy trying
to impress his parmaqqay. Hang up his sword for honor?

There's a difference between the way Klingons use language
and the way humans use language. Klingons never referred to
a weapon as a "peacemaker". They don't hang up their swords
for honor or for women. They TAKE UP their swords for honor
and for women. They put down their swords when they are
weary with proving themselves for honor and for women; when
they have become wise enough to know how shallow these
victories can be; when they know that victory is so sure as
to be hollow and that there are other valuable
relationships besides dominance; when they recognize that
might is sometimes wrong and it is sometimes a greater
proof of strength to walk away from conflict than to defeat
one who does not otherwise need to be an enemy.

Oops. mura'qa'pu' vuDwIj. jItlhIj.

> --
> De'vID

Back to archive top level