tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 28 20:29:12 2000

RE: tlhIngan "Tao" ?

>>> <Doch ponglaHbogh pagh> - the thing which cannot be named (to
>>> 'name' something means more than just to give it a label - it
>>> is to place it in some sort of context and/or hierarchy of
>>> entites - especially in ancient Chinese thought, i believe. the
>>> tao is completely beyond context or hierarchy. 'the tao which
>>> can be explained is not the true tao; the tao which can be
>>> named is not the true tao.')

ja' pagh:
>There's no evidence that Klingon attaches this special meaning to the word
><pong> or to names. We do know that Klingons place quite a bit of value and
>honor in family names, that's about the only special significance <pong> has
>(that I know of), either as a noun or a verb.

The "newly expanded" meaning of {per} "label" might fit this idea, though.
"Ascertain, specify, pin down" certainly sounds as if it goes against the
"ideals" of the true tao. :)

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level