tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 22 21:16:19 2000

Re: tlhIngan "Tao" ?

> De'vID:
> > On a similar note, how would one "translate" the (Buddhist) idea of
> > dhamma/dharma into Klingon?  (Actually the Chinese usually rendered
> > "dharma" with "Tao".)

JaHinTa':
>I do not think the Buddhist way of looking at things could ever be compared to
>the Klingon way - being a Buddhist actually makes me almost sure of that :o)

chaq bIlugh.  'ach Sarqu' Buddhist-pu' je.  Zen Buddhism pab Japanese
Samurai-pu', 'ej tlhIngan tIgh rur bushido.  (*bushido* = *bushi* "warrior" +
*do* "Tao"... vaj "Tao"vam yajchu' Hoch tlhIngan SuvwI'pu'!)

"Buddhism" is a rather broad label though.  The Japanese Samurai followed
Zen Buddhism, and Klingons can certainly relate to their culture and ethos.

'ej meditate tlhInganpu' 'e' wISov.  boretlh chIrghDaq meditate-pu'
Worf.  'ach pImqu'bej tlhIngan meditation, Buddhist meditation je.

On the other hand, if we're talking about early Indian Buddhism, Klingons
would probably have as much trouble understanding it as they would Taoism.
btw has anyone tried their hand at rendering the Dhammapada into Klingon?

[p.s. I hope my Klinglish is understood.  I don't know the Klingon word
for "meditate", if there is such a word at all.]

--
De'vID