tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 28 21:31:21 2000

Re: [KLBC] Answering machine message

ja' Juan Pablo Pira <[email protected]>:
>How about including some tlhIngan Hol in your answering machine message...
>
>Will this sound klingon enough:
>
>nuqneH!
>QumwI'lIj mI' SoQlIj je tijatlh.

To the untrained ear, almost anything would sound "Klingon enough" for an
answering machine. :-)  Seriously, it's not bad, though I'd probably be
much more terse:

  toH.  yIjatlh.  [Beep]

Anyone today who doesn't already know the protocol for dealing with
answering machines almost certainly wouldn't understand the instructions if
they heard them in Klingon.

>Looks like you cannot be precise and polite at the same time...

When speaking Klingon, it *is* considered polite to be precise.  Accuracy
is one of the ideals of (fictional) Klingon culture, which is reflected in
the (real) language.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level