tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 22 21:15:39 2000

RE: tlhIngan "Tao" ?

taghqIj:
>> <chenmoHtaHwI'> - that which is always causing [things] to take
>> form (the tao contains all things in potentiality, good and evil,
>> female and male, light and dark, creative and destructive)

I don't think any word translating "Tao" (in the Taoist sense) should
have /-moH/ in it.  It's too active... the "Tao" doesn't actively
*cause* things to take form.

Tao-mo' chen Hoch, 'ach pagh chenmoH Tao. {{=)

taghqIj:
>> <Doch ponglaHbogh pagh> - the thing which cannot be named (to
>> 'name' something means more than just to give it a label - it
>> is to place it in some sort of context and/or hierarchy of
>> entites - especially in ancient Chinese thought, i believe. the
>> tao is completely beyond context or hierarchy. 'the tao which
>> can be explained is not the true tao; the tao which can be
>> named is not the true tao.')

pagh:
>There's no evidence that Klingon attaches this special meaning to the word
><pong> or to names. We do know that Klingons place quite a bit of value and
>honor in family names, that's about the only special significance <pong> has
>(that I know of), either as a noun or a verb.

I think if you said to a Klingon that the Tao cannot be /pong/ed,
he'd look at you funny and say: "Of course it can be named!  Its name
is the Tao!"  Philosophical subtlety doesn't seem to be very evident
in what we've seen of Klingon culture.  Klingon culture values
directness; something that can't be named might sound terribly
suspect.

--
De'vID