tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 22 12:50:19 2000

RE: tlhIngan "Tao" ?

De'vId pItlh:
>I have used /ghob/ for "Tao" as well.  If you'll search in the archives
>(April 2000 - /tlhIngan-Hol/2000/April/) for my
>translation of the first chapter of Sun Tzu, you'll see that I've
>used /ghob/ for "Tao" there.

I am greatly... honored.
Sun Tzu is the exact context for "Tao" I was thinking of.

Before even attempting to translate any of his writings (to be quoted
at our festivities in Germany) I wanted to clarify concepts and important
vocabulary *first*. Grammar will follow later :-)

>> But what is tlhIngan tIgh then?
>> Is the "Klingon Way" an interpretation of "Virtue", a method to be a
>> Klingon, a set of recommendations? Or is it represented by the actual laws
>> passed in a Klingon society?
>> I have no answer here and ask for assistance.
>
>I understand by /tIgh/ something like "tradition, custom" and maybe
>even "heritage".  Klingons follow /tIgh/, but AFAIK it's not set down
>in law.  It's set down in story and song, however!

Hm, a differentiation between "tradition, custom" (tIgh) and "heritage" (quH) is
cutting it rather fine.
I believe Virtue (ghob) is the abstract concept, while custom (tIgh)
consists of the actual rules and Klingon habits to implement this concept.
Difficult, this.

Let us return to Sun Tzu:
A relatively new translation by R.L.Wing "The Art of Strategy" was
published that only contains the 13 core chapters. I like it, it is short
and to the point :-)
- I seek a Hol transcription of this honored name - would Sunchu' be
acceptable?
- How would one translate "Art"? Here it is not artistic art, it very
sophisticated knowledge. Yet Sov'a' seems inappropriate - "great knowledge"
is not Art.

I pause, the mail is too long ;-)

Qapla'

--