tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 19 21:51:21 2000

Re: Q: Greetings and goodbyes in tlhIngan

Eliza <[email protected]> writes:
>This is first time I write a mail to this list (sorry for any mistakes
>in my English).

Greetings. :-)

>I have question about greetings and goodbyes in tlhIngan.
>What is the best way to say "hello" and "goodbye"?

In my opinion, the "best" way is not to say them at all.  When one is
speaking Klingon, it's considered polite to get to the point without wordy
preliminaries, and unless you're honestly wishing someone luck or success
or health as you leave, I think it is inappropriate to say something that
translates as "be well" or "goodbye".

>In Okrand's dictionary I found, that nuqneH is used as greeting and
>Qapla' (and many famous Klingon sentences like "batlh bIHeghjaj") is
>used as "goodbye".

TKD just mentions the one greeting: {nuqneH}.

>And now I ask:
>1. Are there other expressions which I may say instead "nuqneH"
>(but not like "'Iw jaj qar'a'" :) )

"Blood day, right?" :-)  The phrase I think you're avoiding is {'IH jaj...}

>If yes, which one is the best, or the most "canonical"?

There are many phrases you might wish to say.  However, the "best" thing to
say is quite likely to be nothing at all.

>2. Is there any "canonical" word (or expression) for "goodbye"?

Many people do consider {Qapla'} "success!" to be a simple sendoff line.
It was used in Star Trek III by Valkris as she bid Kruge farewell:

Qapla', jawwI'...bangwI' je.  ("Success, my Lord...and my love.")

Of course, she *was* actually wishing him success in his mission at the time.

>3. Can I use "Qapla'" as "hello", and what is better (more
>traditional or more "canonical") - Qapla' or nuqneH?

An old Hallmark commercial for a "Bird of Prey" Christmas ornament has
Gowron apparently greeting his crew by saying {Qapla'}.  The Klingon
Dictionary and the Conversational Klingon audiotape tell us that {nuqneH}
is the only greeting.  You can try to decide for yourself what is more
appropriate.

Based on the "whaddyawant?" translation, I think {nuqneH} is best used in
situations where someone else has gotten your attention.  I myself would
never consider walking up to someone and beginning a conversation with
{nuqneH}.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level