tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 04 10:27:50 2000

Re: KLBC: relative clauses again (and some un-relative-clause stuff)

Voragh:
: Another tack:  *{ghewghu}/*{ghughew} or *{ghewpuq}/*{puqghew} for the
"infant"
: (larvae) or "child" (pupae) stages of an insect's life respectively - or do I
: have these backwards?  In English infant and child of course refer to humans,
: or at least primates, but we have no idea how Klingon biologists might
classify
: things.

peHruS:
> TKD does refer to (puq) as offspring, indicating that ghew puq and ghargh
> puq are correct.

lughchu' peHruS.  For some reason I always thought "offspring" referred only to
children, but I was wrong.  According to the Merriam-Webster Online dictionary,
the primary definition (1a) is non-human:

  off·spring
  noun
  plural {offspring} also {offsprings}
  Pronunciation: 'of-"spri[ng]
  Etymology: Middle English *ofspring*, from Old English, from
    *of* off + *springan* to spring
  Date: before 12th century
  1 a : the progeny of an animal or plant : YOUNG b : CHILD
  2 a : PRODUCT, RESULT <scholarly manuscripts--the labored
        offsprings of PhDs -- Donna Martin> b : OFFSHOOT 1a

toH, <Hoch jaj vay' chu' Daghoj> jatlh SoSwI'.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level