tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 04 11:33:25 2000

RE: I'm new to the list and Klingon too.

Welcome to the list, brenDan. My name is pagh, and I am currently the
Beginners' Grammarian for the list. It's my job to help new people learn
Klingon. Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it with a KLBC in
the subject line.

brenDan:

> (For lack of a better Greeting)
> nuqneH
>
> 	I just joined the list, and Klingon is the first language I have
> decided to learn besides english.

> 	Pardon my Klinglish, mu'tay'wIj vIghojtaH.

qay'be'.

> <this list> vImuvta' 'ach vIlaDtaHbe'

We often use <jabbI'IDghom> for "mailing list", so "this list" would be
<jabbI'IDghomvam>.

> <thlingon Hol Postal Course> vIjeStaH 'ach vIghojchu'be'

Do'Ha'. 'op nuvpu'vaD lI' Postal Course, 'ach pupbe'.

Careful with spelling: <tlhIngan>.

You've also run across an ongoing controversy. <jeS> is defined as
"participate" rather than "participate in". So can you "participate"
something? Probably not. Some people argue that the definition in TKD is
just a little unclear, and that <qep vIjeS> is just fine. It's always better
to be careful, though, espeically while you're learning.

In any case, I think <ta'> works as well or better for this example: <Postal
Course vIta'lI'...>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level