tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 27 16:36:01 2000

KLIC: Sun Tzu ch1 v12 (RE: <Sun-tzu> lut 'ay' wa')

Hergh Suy:
>vaj loy qar Dalo'DI' chovqu'ghach qar DaghermeH
>'ej 'oH pegh teH DanejDI' yItlhob:
>
>"Thus, when making a comparitive evaluation through estimations,
>seeking out the true nature, ask:
>
>+ <Tao> ghaj nuq che'wI' ?
>+ laH nIv ghaj nuq Sa' ?
>+ puH Doch QaQ chal Doch QaQ je' Soqtu' 'Iv ?
>
>+ Which ruler has the <Tao>?
>+ Which general has the greater ability?
>+ Who has gained the advantages of heaven and earth?

It's interesting how divergent our translations are.
Here are the same verses in my translation.  I have
two versions, one where the statements are phrased as
commands (which I feel is more Klingon) and another
where they are questions.  I haven't decided which
style I like yet.

--

     12.  Therefore,  in your deliberations,  when seeking to
determine the military conditions, let them be made the basis of

alt: /... 'ej yIghel'egh:/

     13.  (1)   Which of the two sovereigns is imbued with the
Moral law?
/cha' che'wI'pu' DaqelDI', ghobmo' wa''e'
lutlhejbogh rewbe'pu' yIngu'!/
[This line is messed up and needs to be fixed, I need
to consult the Chinese version because I disagreed with
Giles' translation here.]

alt: /cha' che'wI'pu' DaqelDI', ghob ghajqu' 'Iv?/

     (2)  Which of the two generals has most ability?
/cha' Sa'pu' DaqelDI', laH nIv ghajbogh Sa' yIngu'!/

alt: /cha' Sa'pu' DaqelDI', laH nIv ghaj 'Iv?/

     (3)  With whom lie the advantages derived from Heaven and
Earth?
/wa''e' luQaHbogh 'ej luQanbogh ngeHbej che'ron je yIngu'!/

alt: /'Iv luQaH 'ej luQan ngeHbej che'ron je?/

>How does this sound?
>What Klingon word should be used for <Tao> (The way)?

In general, I find that a translation sounds more
natural if "native" vocabulary is used.  There is a
tradeoff between literalness and smoothness in
translation.  (The Indian Buddhists ran into the same
problem with Chinese and had to substitute "Tao"
for "dharma", etc.)

As you can see from above, I've rendered "Tao"
(which Giles translates, somewhat inaccurately
in my opinion, as "the Moral law") as /ghob/.
Also, rather than the literalistic /puH/ and /chal/
for "Earth" and "Heaven", I've used the more
Klingon /che'ron/ "battlefield" and /ngeHbej/
"cosmos".  It's rather unlikely that a Klingon would
understand /chal puH je/ in quite the same fashion
as a Chinese would think of "tian di".

--
De'vID

Back to archive top level