tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 26 12:12:51 2000

Re: He ate the whole thing...

Brian wrote:
: I'm reading through the back issues of HolQeD, and in 5.2,
: Krankor HoD mentions how to render "He ate the whole pie"
: (chab naQ Soppu'), as opposed to "He ate all the pies".
: This raised a question for me. Wouldn't that thought be better
: expressed as chab Sopchu'pu' -- "He ate the pie pie perfectly"?

It depends on what "perfectly" means in the given context: completely?
carefully, savoring every mouthful (like a gourmand)? neatly?  Okay, probably
not this last - at least for Klingons! <g>

But Brian may well be right.  From the "Star Trek: Klingon!" game:

  yItlhutlhchu'
  Drink up!  (KCD)

which, in my dialect, means "Bottoms up! Down the hatch!" (i.e. swallow all
your drink, preferably in one gulp).

As to whether {chab Sopchu'} "eat the pie up" is better than {chab naQ Sop}
"eat the whole pie", this is likely a matter of personal style.  It may also be
a slight difference of emphasis, but we'd have to ask Maltz.  As in most
languages, there is often no one right way to say something.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level