tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 26 14:23:14 2000

Re: Klingon Academy

De'vID:
> Is /DujDaj ra' 'e' tul Hoch <<Hov leng>> tIvwI'/ good?

DloraH:
: We have the word [fanatical - ngotlh]
: [Hov leng ngotlhwI'] instead of someone who simply enjoys it.

> Is this a vocab suggestion, or are you saying that a regular
> Star Trek fan wouldn't dream of commanding his own ship?

: "A regular Star Trek fan". The word "fan" comes from "fanatical"

More precisely, it's a short form of a "fanatic".  If you know Spanish,
*fanático* is used informally--at least I hear it often from television
announcers talking about sports and pro-wrestling fans--though the more formal
*aficionado* is also heard.

> I thought about /ngotlh/ but passed it up because it couldn't take
> a subject.  Now that I think about it, /<<Hov leng>> ngotlhwI'/
> might work as a N1-N2 or a possessive.

: N1-N2 is how I was using it.  Throwing the -wI' on there makes the verb
: a noun, so none of them can take an object.

Exactly.  Nouns don't take objects in Klingon; only verbs do.  Our obsession
about transitivity on this listserv probably confuses a lot of beginners.
Don't worry about whether or not a particular verb can take an object when
forming a derived {-wI'} noun.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons