tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 26 17:37:53 1999

Re: KLBC: Undoubtedly continue to..

>From: "Klingon Honour" <[email protected]>
>Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:55:06 EST
>

>1. How does one say "You (!) undoubtedly continue to cause to be difficult
>to her on this situation" ?
>*The exclamation marks the item to be emphasised.
>
>Somebody wrote: ghu'vam DaQatlhmoHtaHbej
>But this has "bej" (V6) coming after "taH" (V7) to achieve UNDOUBTEDLY
>modifying CONTINUE. Also, is there no need for a preposition to say "in
>regards to/ on this situation"? And how about emphasis? Would you put
>"soH'e'" in the subject position of this sentence?
>

>2. In comparison, how would one write "You clearly and undoubtedly continue
>to cause to be difficult to her on this (!) situation."?

I think what you're asking for here is how to get something which uses the
meanings in the suffixes in the "wrong" order.  For example, "-nIS" (need)
is a type-2 suffix and "-moH" (cause) is type-4.  This would imply that
"DapumnISmoH" means "you made it need to fall" and there is thus no way to
say "you need to make it fall."  Well, of course, there are always ways;
you can always resort to rephrasing and breaking things out into their own
clauses, like {pum 'e' DaraDnIS} ("you need to force it to fall"), or some
such.  But also, it isn't necessarily so that the suffix meanings HAVE to
be applied in order.  The suffixes themselves have to be, but not
necessarily the meanings.  Okrand himself commented on this with respect to
"quv'eghmoH", didn't he?  That some speakers would actually "break" the
ordering by considering "quvmoH" to be unbreakable and putting the -'egh
late, but others would leave it as is, didn't he?  I'm nearly positive I'm
misremembering this; someone correct me.  It pops up a lot with -Qo' also.
"jIjeghnISQo'" -- "I refuse to need to surrender"?  At least as likely
(depending on the context) "I need to refuse to surrender".  My examples
aren't very good today; there are clearer ones.  Generally speaking,
though, I'd say:

1) suffix-meanings *usually* apply in (roughly) the order given

2) Aside from the true rovers (-qu' and -be'), they might not actually be
   meant quite in that order, and you should try other sensible orderings
   that make more sense, if the default one doesn't work.

3) Rule 2 is particularly applicable to -Qo' and -Ha'.

~mark

Back to archive top level