tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 26 17:39:51 1999

Re: Imperatives with aspect

>Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:56:58 -0400 (EDT)
>From: david joslyn <[email protected]>
>
>On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 [email protected] wrote:
>
>> >yItlhutlhtaH "Keep drinking!"
>> This would probably only be true if the context were right. I suspect that it
>> could also mean, "Be in the continuous state of drinking," or "Start drinking
>> (with no definite stopping point)."
>
>I can just see a Klingon drinking contest, with the spectators chanting:
>
>"yI-tlhutlh-taH! yi-tlhutlh-taH!" =)

Hee... More likely {petlhutlhtaH}, unless they're taking turns (or they
really feel the need to imply the object).  Actually, for whatever reason I
tend to picture a disyllable working better, using Clipped Klingon:

tlhutlh - taH!  tlhutlh - taH!

~mark

Back to archive top level