tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 26 13:34:15 1999

Re: Annoyance

ja' SuStel:
>Yes, we "old-timers" (and I'm not as old-time on this list as some of you,
>but I've done my time as a Beginners' Grammarian) know what it's all about.
>We know what's counterproductive and what's not possible.  We know the style
>of the language and things like how difficult it is to translate poetry.

chay' Sovvetlh wIlo'?
How would you suggest we make use of that knowledge?

>But is it really our place to boss newcomers around?

chu'wI' ra'taH 'Iv?  ghuHmoHDI' 'utlh, qatlh chu'wI' HIv 'e' Har chu'wI'?
I have a hard time seeing it from that perspective.  It often seems that
a warning message gets interpreted as a direct attack.  Why must someone
take an explanation about the problems inherent in certain approaches as
being "bossed around"?

>[...]
>Here's what I suggest: the "'utlhpu'" should generally restrain themselves
>from discussing at length the grammar of any "non-'utlh" post, unless such
>discussion is invited.

bomqoqvam wIqel neHqu' mughrupwI'!  tlhoS poQ jay'!
Perhaps you hadn't noticed, but the specific instance that brought on
this round of complaints *was* invited.

[...]
>P.S.: The summary: Shut up and let people have fun for a change!  :)

wejpuH.  <bIjatlh 'e' yImev> muja'DI' vay', chay' wanI' vItIvlaH jIH jay'?

It might be time to take the <pejaw> list out of its wrapper.  I think I
have come to a point where I would enjoy a list where *only* Klingon text
is permitted.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level