tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 17 16:41:25 1999

RE: Annoyance

Welcome to the list, Sgt. Banks. My name is pagh, and I am the current
Beginners' Grammarian for the list. Whenver you have a post you want help
with, mark it for my attention with a KLBC in the subject line.

jatlh Banks bu':

I've just gotten back on the list after moving and some account troubles, so
I'm just going to look at your Klingon sentences.

> Now, please correct these extremely basic sentences and let
> me know how I can grow as a speaker in this wonderful
> language.

> jISopta' -I have eaten
> 		(Could this also mean I have already ate? It
> may seem like a silly question, but hey I did say I was
> a beginner.)

maj. Whether it can mean "I already ate" probably depends on the context,
but it should work most of the time. Klingon doesn't really have a way to
express "already", but I'm not sure we need one.

> Qa'wej chollI'be'
> 	-The three animals are not getting closer
> 		(Butchered this one, didn't I)

Actually not too bad - just some easily correctable problems. First, a <Qa'>
is a specific type of animal, like a horse or a clam or a targ. I assume
that's what you meant, but if not, the general word for animal is
<Ha'DIbaH>.

In Klingon, numbers go in front of the noun, just like in English. You want
<wej Qa'>. When placed after the noun, numbers act like labels. For example:
<wej puq> is "the three children", while <puq wej> is "child number three".

Finally, the subject goes *after* the verb in Klingon.

chollI'be' wej Qa'.

> Just a few for today. Let me know the error of my ways if you
> could. Thanks.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ