tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 22 15:55:33 1999

Re: Annoyance

<< What's the Klingon for "public relations"?  Be nice.  Being polite is not
 enough.  It's easy to be polite while you're being mean, and that's how it
 will look, no matter how hard you try, if you're not being nice at the same
 time.  Be pleasant.  And when you see a mistake, for the most part (unless
 you've been asked to correct something, or unless it's happened a dozen
 times), ignore it.  Don't tell them you don't understand what they meant
 when you know perfectly well what they were trying to say.  That's not
 pleasant, that's condescending.  (e.g. Newbie: "jIH yajbe'."  'utlhqoq: "He
 doesn't understand the monitor?  What does that mean?"  Don't do this.  It's
 pretty enraging from the point of view of the newbie who tried hard to come
 up with it.  Be helpful, rather than simply critical.)  If you've hurt
 someone's feelings, you're in the wrong.

 Well, I apologize for not following the list's guidelines here.  I'm just
 worried about the same thing that a couple of taghwI'pu' have complained
 about: the difficult learning envronment which has been rearing its head
 lately on this list.  Please, everyone, be more concerned with your fellows'
 needs than with your own.  Thank you.

 SuStel
 Stardate 99891.3

 P.S.: The summary: Shut up and let people have fun for a change!  :)

 </XMP>

Understand this : I'm a member of the KLI, (brand new one, even) and proud to
be one. I'm no old-timer, but I have a basic understanding of the grammar and
the word structure. I know how to put words and sentences together. I make
mistakes, and I learn from them. If the only way I have to learn is through
being browbeaten when I do something wrong, then so be it. You can't get rid
of *me* that easily.
Sadly, though, I'm in the minority. Some people don't feel that way. They are
easily intimidated by your superior skills. They go away. And they take their
potential membership dues, their potential donations, and their potential
merchandise purchases *with* them.
I'm gonna stick around, because I love this language and this culture. I'll
get every last bit of information I can from you all. And I'll do everything
in my power to help the KLI to grow. And that includes bringing new people,
and doing what I can to encourage any others who find their own way here
truly trying to learn this language. So if the KLI eventually withers on the
vine, it won't be because of something I did or failed to do. Think about it.

juDmoS

Back to archive top level