tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 17 07:18:40 1999

Re: KLBC Help with a word...

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 23:56:17 EST [email protected] wrote:

> Your criticisms are insightful and very helpful. I'm still a bit hazy on
> exactly when the 'e' is and is not used, but I'm sure I'll get it with
> practice. I thank you.
>
> juDmoS

There is only one place in Klingon grammar where the noun suffix
{-'e'} is REQUIRED. If you have a sentence using the verb "to
be" with something other than a pronoun as the subject, that
subject is a noun and it needs {-'e'}.

As examples:

"We are Klingons." tlhIngan maH. The subject is a pronoun, so
the pronoun acts as both verb and subject. You don't need {-'e'}.

"Krankor is a Klingon." tlhIngan ghaH Qanqor'e'. Now the subject
is Krankor, who is not a pronoun, so he needs {-'e'}.

"He/she is a warrior." SuvwI' ghaH. The subject is a pronoun. No
{'e'} is needed.

"The warrior is a woman." be' ghaH SuvwI''e'. The subject is a
warrior, so that noun needs {-'e'}.

Does this clear things up?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level