tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 16 20:56:57 1999

Re: KLBC Help with a word...

<< Hmm.  Ways of saying the first sentence which I'm coming up with tend to
 weaken the poetry of the second... You may have to translate the two
 sentences together...

 choHtaHbogh bIQtIq lIghbogh Duj'e' rur najwI'....

Hmmm... A dreamer is like a vessel which rides an ever-changing river. It
sums up a large part...but still there's something essential (which I cannot
quite put my finger on) missing.

 Hrm.  Doesn't extend well.  (Oh, and you can't use a verb adjectivally if
 it has a suffix, aside from -qu' or -Ha' or -be'.  It has to be choHtaHbogh
 bIQtIq, not bIQtIq choHtaH.  The neH should go after Duj, and don't forget
 the mandatory -'e' on pronoun-as-to-be sentences.  The -vIS suffix
 *requires* the -taH suffix: I think of them as just one suffix, -taHvIS.
 This is incorrect when it comes to -taHneSvIS and -taHQo'vIS, but those are
 rare.) >>

Your criticisms are insightful and very helpful. I'm still a bit hazy on
exactly when the 'e' is and is not used, but I'm sure I'll get it with
practice. I thank you.

juDmoS

Back to archive top level