tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 15 10:14:33 1999

Re: transitive verbs

jIja'pu':
>...You're apparently at a point in your studies where you
>believe you know enough to assume things based on your intuition, so we're
>going to seem a bit arrogant and stodgy to you until your understanding of
>how the language works gets to the next level.

ja' Ben (DraQoS):
>And again, arrogant and stodgy are not going to accomplish
>what you want to accomplish. It endangers the growth of this
>language.

We *aren't* arrogant and stodgy.  We aren't even acting that way.  It
just *looks* like it from your point of view, because you think you know
enough to have legitimate ideas about how the language *should* work and
we're telling you that's not how it *does* work.  As soon as you learn a
little bit more, you'll almost certainly realize what we're telling you
on your own, but at the moment you're in an unstable position.  You have
certainly put in a lot of work learning what you know about tlhIngan Hol,
and you obviously consider that work to have value.  We agree.  However,
you haven't yet earned the privilege of suggesting novel interpetations
of familiar words.  If that sounds arrogant to you, consider how you'd
fare if this were an Italian language forum instead of Klingon.  After
you've learned the language well enough to converse in it, you'll be in
a lot better position to present your ideas.  We'll be more likely to
take your points seriously, since they'll be coming from someone with a
demonstrated knowledge of the language, and as a bonus for all involved,
you'll be far more likely to have appropriate points in the first place.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level