tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 07 14:07:54 1999

Re: transitive verbs

>Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 08:55:58 -0800
>From: Ben Gibson <[email protected]>
>
>Originally, I saw -vaD ad "for, intended for" so "SoHvaD
>jIHagh" would translate as "I laugh for you" which again
>what not apparently what I wanted. (Note past tense)

Just to point out a possibility I didn't see mentioned...  If you wanted "I
laugh at you" in the sense of "I mock/ridicule you", what you're after is
{qavaq} or {qanuS}.  If you really want to keep "laugh", perhaps in the
sense of "I laugh at you (because of your funny antics)", then -vaD is, as
you say, the wrong suffix.  Try {SoHmo' jIHagh} (or {choHaghmoH}, to be
difficult).

~mark

Back to archive top level