tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 05 21:21:31 1999

Re: KLBG Re: Some questions

jatlh DraQoS:

> If one says "jIHagh", "bIHagh" or simply "Hagh". I think
> that means "I laugh, you laugh, or they laugh, respectively.
> If there is no object, then the verb is used intransitively.
> "qaHagh", to me means I laugh (at) you. Possibly the same as
> SoHDaq jIHagh. (Although for some reason I keep thinking of
> French knights in a castle taunting English kinigits), or
> maybe "choHaghmoH". In short if an object is provided to
> this particular verb, I think it means the verb is used
> transitively. That in ta' Hol the difference between
> transitive and intransitive verbs is a bit more fuzzy than
> in English. If the object is another person or thing, then
> one is laughing at that.

It certainly seems to me that {qaHagh} is an example of the "prefix trick."
The full, non-contracted version would be {SoHvaD jIHagh} "I laugh, you are
the beneficiary."  (Remember, "beneficiary" doesn't actually mean you
benefit from the action, just that you're the one who "receives" it.)

It doesn't tell you whether you're being laughed AT or laughed WITH.

I'm not overly fond of the prefix trick, but it seems to me to be the best
way to read {qaHagh}.

SuStel
Stardate 99847.1

Back to archive top level